Thursday, October 30, 2008

New Jersey 150th Civil War Anniversary Part II


Yesterday was the second meeting of our ad hoc group that is discussing how New Jersey might observe the 150th anniversary of the Civil War beginning in 2011. We had a good meeting, the commitment of the group is high and I think we are off to a good start. Most of the work so far has been on basic organizational issues and how we should broaden the group to include the whole state.

Beginning in 2009 we will start focusing on the content of this effort. Like everyone else in the group I have my opinions about what we should do, but I am not going to get into that at this time. What I do want to say is that one of my highest priorities, if not my highest priority, is that the net result of this work should be that the people of this state will have a better understanding of New Jersey's role in the Civil War. I hope that this will not end with this observation, but rather continue and grow in the future.

There are two other things of interest going on simultaneously, but co-incidentally with this work. One relates to the 33rd New Jersey re-enactors who have located the unmarked grave of Lt Joesph L. Miller who was killed at the battle of Dug Gap on May 8, 1864. Led by Gary Abrams, the re-enactors are trying to move his remains to a national cemetery. In trying to help them find Miller's descendants, I have done a little research and found that Miller was about 36 at the time of his enlistment in the 33rd. He left behind his wife, Martha and four small children below the age of 10. This is really important work and I hope Gary and the group are successful - anyone who reads this and knows anything about Miller's descendants or where to find them, please let me know.

The other Civil War news relates to a friend of mine, Vince Dahmen, who I know through early morning running in Verona Park. There is a group of four-five of us who run most mornings at about 5:30 a.m.. Currently I am on the injured list, but hope to get back at some point in some way. In any event through his church Vince has been involved in a massive cleanup effort at St. Mark's Cemetery in West Orange. In doing that he discovered that there are close to 20 Civil War veterans buried there, primarily from the 26th New Jersey. On his own Vince has organized a Veterans Day observation at the cemetery to honor these long forgotten men. A group of the 33rd re-enactors is coming to present the colors and honor these men. Carol and I will be there to take part in a brief ceremony - well done Vince!

Both of these items along with the passion and commitment of those discussing the 150th demonstrate that there is some real interest not just in the war (that's not news), but in New Jersey's part in that war. I think this is all very important and very exciting and I am committed to doing what I can to make it a success by which I mean create some real change in how our state and our people understand New Jersey's role in what is probably the major turning point in the history of our country.

No comments: