Sunday, November 16, 2008

For the Union Dead Part VI


This the final post of my Veteran's week's stories of those from the 33rd New Jersey who were killed or were severely wounded in the service of the Union cause. The picture to the left is that of William Cochrane from Jersey City. At the age of 22, Cochrane enlisted in the 21st New Jersey and served with that regiment for its nine months of service.
Not long after being mustered out with that regiment in June of 1863, Cochrane enlisted in the 33rd New Jersey as a first Lieutenant. Because of the death of Captain Bartlett at Dug Gap, he became commander of Company G.
After the failure of Sherman's flanking movement at New Hope Baptist Church, the Union forces returned to their life line of the railroad. The 33rd was next engaged at Pine Knob on June 15-16, 1864. On the night of the 15th the regiment was told not to dig in as they would be moving shortly. This was not correct and the next day, the regiment found themselves exposed to lethal Confederate fire. Of all the regiments engaged at Pine Knob, the 33rd suffered the highest casualties.
One of these casualties was William Cochrane. While firing from behind a tree, Cochrane moved to the other side of the tree to avoid a sharpshooter, exposing himself to another Confederate who fatally shot the young officer. Chaplain John Faull morned his death in a letter to the Sussex County Register, reporting that he "loved him as man and a soldier." Sadly official notice of Cochrane's promotion to Captain arrived two days after this death. He was buried in the National Cemetery at Marietta.
A primary reason for posting the stories of these men and their pictures is to help us connect more effectively with the human side of the sacrifices these men made for our country and for us. There are many other such stories in the 33rd, but these are the only cases where pictures survive. Perhaps at another time, I will find a way to honor the others "who gave their lives, that that nation might live."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you pls post the photo at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=30003454

Bill Toffey said...

(Letter from William Cochran to John J Toffey, who had been wounded in 11-17-1863 and was apparently home in Jersey City, NJ, recuperating from his wounds.)
Camp 33d New Jersey Vols Lookout Valley Tenn.
Feb. 21/64
My Dear Friend
I received your kind letter enclosing carte-de-visite today and I can assure you I was very glad indeed to hear from you.
I am very glad to hear that you are improving and I trust we shall soon see you back to the regiment. I miss you very much indeed, but I would advise you to stay at "Home" until you are perfectly well.
I have appied for a furlough (or rather leave of absence) and I hope I may get it. I may not go further than Columbus, Ohio. This, however, may depend on circumstances. If I do go home I will certainly call and see you. I have written my sister to call but I received a letter from her today saying that she had had so much company that she had been unable to do so but would soon. Has Louise W. been to see you yet? I suppose you must have quite pleasant times entertaining your young lady friends and as you were always a great favorite. Isuppose you do not want for company.
Have you seen Rim Onderdonk since you have been hume? Lieut. Lee says he has applied for a commission in the Signal Corps. I hope he succeeds as I think he deserves it and will make a good officer.
I suppose you would like to hear how everything goes on in the regt. Col. Mindel has gone home on sick leave -- the major has been in command until yesterday when Lieut. Col. Pourat came back. Last evening all the "line officers" were invited by the major to spend the evening at headquarters. We had a very fine time indeed. The major laid aside all his dignity so we were quite free and sociable. Capt. Bartlett, Lieuts. Lee and Harrison wish to be remembered and say they wish you would write to them.
Please write soon. I remain your sincere friend .
William H. Cochran
P.S. I am very much obliged for your carte-de-visite

John Z said...

Bill,

Thanks for sharing this.

John