Tuesday, May 12, 2009

West Point


Supposedly the motto of Princeton University (in Latin, of course) means "in the service of the nation" or words to that effect. I once read a column in the New York Times that claimed that it really meant "boy do we have networks." Since I don't understand Latin and am not that interested, I will leave it up to others to debate what it really means.

However, this year I have gotten a sense of how beneficial networks can be. My work on the New Jersey Civil War 150th Committee has introduced me to a number of dedicated and helpful people including the good folks at the Phil Kearny Civil War Roundtable especially Joe Truglio, the group's leader. Working with them and speaking at their March meeting has led to three other speaking (and book selling) opportunities, one last February in Rockland County, last night at the West Point Museum and next month at the Wyckoff Historical Society.

Last night's talk was to the West Point Chapter of the Company of Military Historians. This group has chapters throughout the country and as the name suggests they meet to hear presentations on different aspects of military history. The meeting was at the West Point Museum which is actually not on the grounds of the military academy itself, but rather located not far from the main gate. A few of them hosted Carol and I for dinner before hand and I had the opportunity to talk with the chair who is very active in the study of civilian and women's issues related to the Civil War. Since this will be an important part of the New Jersey 150th anniversary observations, she could be a very helpful resource.

The talk went well and I sold five books which was especially gratifying. I have come to realize that I shouldn't have expectations about how many, if any, copies I will sell and just take it as it comes. As I noted in a recent post, I have learned that it is my job to write the books, not sell them. I will still take advantage of opportunities like these, but will be careful about how far I will travel to do so. West Point is probably a little further than I would normally want to travel, but the opportunity to go there was one that I would not pass up. I have been to West Point many times over the years, primarily for Rutgers football games, but when I was in college, I was there as a basketball and baseball manager. On one occasion we had the opportunity to have dinner in the dining hall an opportunity that doesn't come along very often in life.

I have now given my basic talk about the 33rd New Jersey enough times that I don't need a lot of practice and preparation time. Up until last November the talk consisted of telling about the regiment's troubled beginnings and then an overview of its service. At a talk to a New Jersey CWRT where I sold only one book, I realized that I was telling too much of the story leaving little incentive for anyone to buy the book. Since then I have changed the second half of the talk to focus specifically on the Atlanta campaign, leaving a lot of other material for people to read about in the book itself.

Interestingly last week in the Rutgers library I found an article about the 33rd's second regimental reunion on September 5, 1892. The article indicated that they chose early September for the reunion because it was the time they left Newark and the time (a year later) that they entered Atlanta with the rest of the triumph Union army. Unintentionally on my part, I had decided to focus two periods that the participants themselves thought were especially important - a nice feeling of connection with them. I would like to do more research on the 33rd especially their post war lives - I am not sure if there is another book there or not - I am also wondering if there is another New Jersey regiment whose story needs to be told - we will see.

No comments: